Woman dies in apartment fire

Picture of siren

One woman died in an apparent fire early Christmas eve morning.

Around 3 a.m. Dec. 24, Newton Fire/EMS was dispatched to an apartment fire at 217 Muse St.

On arriving they found an apartment engulfed in smoke. They extinguished the smoldering fire and found a woman unconscious.
According to Fire Marshal Andy Harder, responders were able to resuscitate her but she eventually passed away from smoke inhalation.

Harder said a couch in the apartment caught on fire. He said there was limited air circulation in the apartment which caused the couch to ignite and then smolder down, using up the available oxygen.

He said they found smoking material by the couch and believe that the fire to be accidental.
Harder released the name of the woman, Tina Shuman, a 44-year-old woman from Newton.

0 replies on “Woman dies in apartment fire”