No suspect located after shots fired at party, eight hour standoff

By Adam Strunk

For eight hours area law enforcement surrounded a northeast Newton residence believing it to house an armed and barricaded suspect.

But late Sunday morning law enforcement entered and searched the home, at 711 E. 8th St., and found no one, according to Newton Public Information Officer Erin McDaniel.

The situation started after police responded to a call around 2:30 a.m. reporting gunshots fired at the residence.

According to residents in the area, at the time a?party was in progress at the house.

According to a release by the Newton Police Department officers heard numerous gunshots coming from the residence when they responded and located several people who were witnessed running from the house.

“They told officers the suspect shot at them,” the release stated.

Police set up a perimeter around the house where loud music could be playing from the inside.

The Harvey County Emergency Response team was called to the scene, and help was requested from Sedgwick County as well as from the Reno County ERT.

Officers made numerous attempts to contact the suspect by telephone.

“Because officers heard gunshots when they arrived it was unknown if there were victims inside the house,” the release from the police department stated. “Neighbors in the immediate area were evacuated or allowed to shelter in place.? Entry was made into the house and the suspect was not located.

McDaniel said law enforcement will continue searching for the person involved in the incident, who was not identified.

The police department does not think?the individual poses a threat to the general public as the individuals he shot at were people he was aquatinted?with.

Residents on both sides of the property were evacuated and let back into their homes?shortly after noon on Sunday, and the Emergency Response Team left the scene.

McDaniel said no one was injured in the incident.

This story will be updated if any information becomes available.


0 replies on “No suspect located after shots fired at party, eight hour standoff”