Four-hour standoff at Midtown Towers ends peacefully

This is some of the debris the man threw out of his seventh-floor window on Sunday. Later that evening, the parking lot was blocked with crime tape. Wendy Nugent/Harvey County Now

By Adam Strunk, Harvey County Now

Furniture thrown out of a Midtown Towers window resulted in a four-hour standoff between a Newton man and police Sunday night.

Around 7:15 p.m., Newton Police responded to the address at 115 W Fifth Street following a report that a resident was throwing items from a seventh-story window at people below.

“Newton officers had been to this location multiple times in the past two days, attempting to contact a person reported to be suicidal and breaking personal property,” a city release stated.

Newton Police Deputy Chief Scott Powell said the window was located over the entrance of the building and at least one person was nearly hit by the falling furniture.

The city release stated that police made contact with the suspect, who made homicidal, suicidal, and threatening statements toward the apartment building.

Police were on scene around 9:30 p.m. Sunday night, blocking off the street in front of the building. Wendy Nugent/Harvey County Now

“Out of caution, officers asked other residents of the building to voluntarily evacuate or shelter in place,” the release stated.

Powell said officers continued to negotiate with the man in an attempt to de-escalate the situation, but the man, identified as Lyle Gulick, 59, of Newton, barricaded himself in the room.

Powell said Gulick’s statements as well as prior felony warrants resulted in responders’ decision to deploy the Harvey County Emergency Response Team as well as a drone to scout out the situation from outside.  The man had prior warrants for aggravated burglary, theft and two counts of stalking, according to the Newton Police Department.

Harvey County ERT entered the man’s room, and he surrendered without incident just before midnight.

Powell said police believe the man’s episode was prompted by a fear that he would soon be arrested on warrants after violating the terms of his probation earlier in the week.

Gulick was medically cleared and booked into the Harvey County Detention Center on prior warrants as well as new pending charges of aggravated assault, felony obstruction to official duty, criminal damage and disorderly conduct.

Newton Police were assisted by Newton Fire/EMS and the Harvey County Sheriff’s Office.

Police were parked in a nearby parking lot in the same block as Midtown Towers. Wendy Nugent/Harvey County Now


0 replies on “Four-hour standoff at Midtown Towers ends peacefully”